Friday, March 21, 2014

Haircut

It's funny how any small thing can make the person you are. It's also funny that any small change can make such a big difference. Today, I got a haircut, and how all things start is.

"Hey Max, do you want to go get a haircut now?"

"Eh, let me finish my thing"

"How long will it take?" My mom asked again.

"20 minutes."

"Alright," she said. Then, an hour and a half later we got in the car and drove to the place. We always go to the same one. It isn't particularly good, but it is called sports clips and they have TVs with sports on. So it's pretty good.

I sat down in the seat after talking to the lady at the front desk. Five minutes later I hear my name, I stand up and walk to the seat and sit down.

"Alright, we have a two and a half on the back and side, and a four on the top, is that what we are doing today?" I don't really care what I get.

"Sure," I said. She takes out her buzzer thing and gets to work. I don't pay attention and just watch the basketball that is on.

Ten minutes later she helps me up and I look at the strange boy in the mirror. I recognized his face but he didn't look familiar. I shrugged. It off and walked back to my mom sitting in the corner. The way she looked at me I knew that the boy on the mirror came with me.

"I know," I said. "You'll get used to it."

3 comments:

  1. Excellent slice. There are so many great things about this story. I love the introduction--building interest. I love the conversation with mom--from 20 minutes to an hour and a half. I love how you included that you didn't care, that you were more interested in the basketball game. I love that you saw a strange boy in the mirror. I especially loved when you said the boy in the mirror came with you and then your reply to your mom's look. This was so fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite good, Max. A true slice of your life. The line about the boy in the mirror is rather poetic. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a period where it's not supposed to be

    ReplyDelete